Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Madness of March

Hey Upper East Siders,

I know, I know, I'm officially a slacker. Whoops. I only have 3 more weeks (or 17 days) left here, but who's counting? I have loved my time here in Hawaii, but I'm definitely ready to re-join civilization and have people I know around me! This post is dedicated to some funny/random things I have seen here on the island. Warning: I'm not saying these will be funny to you, just that I thought they were.

But first, I must pay respect to the beautiful month of March, and everything it stands for. (If anyone mentions mustaches, I'll punch them). Madness! It's NCAA tournament time, and my competitive spirit lasted all of 5 minutes until Missouri decided not to show up, and Duke thought, heck, if Mizzou gets the day off, we'll take it too! This led to several clever facebook posts, my favorites of which were that someone's bracket "is in a state of Missouri" and "in a pile of Duke". Ha. Ha. Also, Hawaii doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time (joy) so now I'm 4 hours behind El Paso, 5 hours behind all my friends, and 6 hours behind the eastern times that all games are set to start. If you're good at math (or you know where I'm going with this) you just realized that means games start at 6 AM HERE! Let me tell you, coffee is my best friend this week, because, OF COURSE I'm gonna wake up to watch! (Granted, the Longhorns played at 6 am one day, so there's that).

Ok, on to the fun stuff.


Just thought I'd remind you guys what I looked like, so you'll recognize me in a few weeks! Yes, I'm really that dark. No Mom, I won't stop going to the beach.
















I'm hoping you don't have to look that carefully to notice the differences between this McDonald's and YOUR McDonald's. For one, all plates here come with rice. I'm Mexican and even I don't have rice with breakfast, people. Second, Spam is not only considered a perfectly acceptable meal choice, it is often encouraged and incorporated into many local dishes...must be an acquired taste...











Another Hawaiian delicacy, advertised at pretty much EVERY restaurant, is called Loco Moco. Now if you speak Spanish, you know that translates to "crazy booger" so there's no way ANYONE will get me to try this stuff. It basically consists of (you guessed it) a bed of rice, with a hamburger patty placed on top of it, then a fried egg, all doused in brown gravy. WHO EVEN COMES UP WITH THIS STUFF?!?!?!? Ok, needless to say, some of the local food is not exactly my taste.


Ok so not all the food is bad. I recently discovered Acai Bowls, which are God's gift to me. It is basically acai in ice cream consistency (yum) with bananas, blueberries, and strawberries intermingled, drizzled with honey, and topped with granola. Best. Lunch. Ever. Yes the store is within a block of the clinic. Whoops.





Yes, for those of you who are nearsighted, I have been inspired by this sign to quit my budding career as a PT and become a hairdresser, all because Paul Mitchell told me it was COOL!









I saw this ad at the mall. Ok, first, I don't get it. Second, only in Hawaii would the teacher's name be Mrs. Choy. Not being racist, just saying, anywhere else that kid would have blonde hair, blue eyes, and the teacher would be Smith.












Ok so to most of you, this just looks like a man walking down the street with his walker, and I look like a jerk for making fun of him. But if you look carefully, the back tennis balls are lifted off the ground. Yes, this man was carrying his walker down the street. He would get tired, put it down, and rest by leaning on it, then pick it up and carry it again. This is funny for 2 reasons. 1. Those things fold, so if it wasn't his/he didn't need it, he didn't have to carry it like that. 2. Sir, if Medicare paid for that, YOU'RE USING IT WRONG!









I might have told a few of you that we had a whole week of rain a few weeks ago. And I don't mean Texas rain, where it's like, an hour tops. I mean torrential downpour for an entire week. (Note to self: scratch Seattle off potential places to live) I would just like to point out that these mini waterfalls are NOT usually part of the landscape in Honolulu. In fact, the only reason my CI and I found them is because we had to reroute because the street we usually drive down was flooded. No, wait, it was flooded!



This upcoming weekend is going to be SOOOO fun! It's luau week, everyone! Whoo hoo! I hope to learn how to hula, as well as Tahitian dance (more on this next week) because they offer mini lessons if you get there early, which, duh, I'm doing, coconut bra, grass skirt, and all. I'm also going to finally make it out to Pearl Harbor, since we have a 3 day weekend (insert cheers here). This is my last FULL week of clinicals ever! Whoo hoo!


You Know You Love Me,

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. So you haven't tried the SPAM and eggs yet? Maybe try adding some peanut buttercups

    ReplyDelete