Monday, March 5, 2012

Dolphins and Diamonds!

Omg Upper East Siders,

Sorry I spaced last week and forgot to post my weekly update. I'm sure some of you were devastated ;). Here's a rainbow to make up for it...actually this was a pre-rainbow.
I swear it was about 10x more visible as I was walking down the street and before I ran in to get my camera. Grr.

Let me rehash last weekend. I went up to the North Shore again because I forgot to do some things before. However, we have officially entered Hawaii's rainy season, and the weather had different plans. It rained off and on while I was there, but usually I could sit it out in the car for about 5-10 minutes between activities. That is, until I got to the beach, then the torrential downpour started. Whoops.

First stop was Turtle Bay, where a bunch of sea turtles come to lay eggs, and, er, swim around and stuff. You can either snorkel or swim out to see them and just open your eyes underwater. I chose option A. You don't have to swim out very deep at all, and the turtles are really chill. Just swimmin around under you, with not a care in the world :).






Holy Coconuts, Batman! (A, I hope you recognize that bag! It's been a lifesaver out here!) I couldn't resist getting a fresh coconut by the beach. This tiny old lady asked if I wanted her to cut it open for me. Uh, yeah...she then took this giant machete and with all her force whacked the coconut and sliced it open IN ONE TRY! Seriously, imagine your grandma doing it. Coconut was delicious though.




Last stop was famous now that Adam Richman from Man v. Food has been here. Giovanni's famous shrimp truck, serves only 3 plates. Scampi, Hot, and Lemon Butter. Each plate gets you a dozen shrimp and a ginormous scoop of rice. I was all gung ho to eat linner here (lunch/dinner combo, not a typo), until I saw that the shrimp still had the shells, and the little legs! Gross. No thanks, I held my hunger for the 45 minute ride home.






This weekend, I decided to take on one of the 2 big boy hikes (or so I think) and I got to play with dolphins! Ok, first, I don't have any pictures of the dolphins because, duh, I was by the water playing with them and I didn't exactly trust a complete stranger to not run away with my stuff. However, we got to feed them, and pet them, and give them the command to do a trick. Super fun, and not a lot of people know about them because they are within a hotel so usually only the guests see them, but it's free to the public, you just have to pay for parking! Yay!

Ok, back to the hike. This one took about 2 hours roundtrip and had a roughly 300 steps. Ouch. Here's the first view I got walking in.
Umm, giant tunnel? Check. The crater is called Diamond Head, and it was formed after a volcano exploded a few thousand years ago and created this giant crater. You'll see later.










Beginning of the trail was actually pretty ugly.

















Halfway there!















Ok, so I thought the other tunnel was bad...wrong! I could touch both sides of this tunnel without having my elbows fully extended, and I had to duck for most of it to not hit my head...I bet you claustrophobics are LOOOOVING this.











There are 2 options once you emerge from the tunnel. I chose the well-lit, outdoors, spiral staircase option. As I reached the top, I saw someone coming out of option # 2 <---. Ummmmm....











I'm here!!! Holy HoleInTheGround!










This is the view from the other side. So pretty and totally worth the hike, the Jello legs, and the feelings of resentment/slur of curse words that myself and others uttered on the multiple sets of stairs.









The rain continues here, I think we've been under a flood alert for the last 48 hours, but keep an eye out midweek, Upper East Siders, for a post of hilarious/random things I've seen on the island. Or at least, I think they're funny.

You Know You Love Me,

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment