Monday, February 6, 2012

Blue Crush


Ok, if you didn't get the movie reference, I'll help out. Blue Crush is a totally girly movie starring Kate Bosworth where a Hawaiian surfer girl falls in love with a pro football player, but is afraid it'll ruin her dreams of surfing at "Pipe" and getting a big sponsorship. Really, everyone should watch it. Ok, maybe not. The reason I bring this up is because I WENT THERE this weekend. Hawaii's North Shore is known as a great surfing spot, and being the natural surfer (er, tanner) that I am, I decided to take a trip up there and see what all the hype was about. The beach I went to was called Banzai Pipeline (get it? get it?) and the waves were amazing. I even got to see a few surfers catch some waves and wipeout, but I wasn't quick enough to catch them on film.

Here's the beach. Loved the sand, and the water, it was so peaceful.
Well, except for the waves. Obviously those were huge. I had to jump up and head towards higher ground at one point because apparently, the water sometimes likes to come up all around you really high and almost sweep you out to sea...even when you make sure before laying down your towel that there's no way it could get you. Grr.







Before I made it to the North Shore, I stopped at the Dole Pineapple Plantation. I had been warned before going that it was somewhat of a tourist trap, so I was ready for whatever it could bring. There definitely were a lot of vendors there, but I did get to see (and taste) pineapple from all over the world, and the lady giving our tour was very knowledgeable about the different tastes. And of course, you can't go wrong with a yummy Dole Whip (see my last post).
I'm here!













Ok, please tell me I'm not the only dummy who thought pineapples grew on trees...and not in the ground!! Definitely the biggest surprise of the day.










Which came first, the movie or the train? This one refers to a train that takes you all around the plantation on a tour. I skipped out because I decided to walk instead of paying $10. Lame, I know.








Loooooooove the free pineapple samples!

















Then I ended the day with some tourist-y shopping at the local marketplace. Everything was way more expensive than here in Waikiki, so I didn't really buy anything, but it was a cute little pitstop. I did end the day though, with some shaved ice. My body must be getting acclimated, cause 82 degrees felt HOT on Saturday. Yep, I'm pretty much going to roast this summer back home.
Yum. This is what I was handed, because there is only one size of shaved ice. GINORMOUS.












Next weekend I'm hiking up to some pretty cool (I've heard) waterfalls, and visit the zoo and the botanical gardens. This week I can start hula classes on Wednesday. I haven't decided yet if I'm going or if I'll chicken out. I know, you're on the edge of your seats with anticipation.

You Know You Love Me,
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment